Monday 24 October 2011

Cleopatra's Cat - a 90's funk-rock masterpiece


As I wrote in my introductory article, it was largely the music of the 90's that got me wanting to play guitar in the first place. 1994 saw the release of The Spin Doctors second studio album entitles 'Turn It Upside Down' which, though wasn't the commercial hit-box that was 'Pocket Full of Kryptonite', still packed a funky karate-chop to the boogie bone. This music video posted above from 'Turn It' can, in my view, never date. Beside the beautiful Egyptian/bohemian brunette heart burners dancing about like sailor snatching sirens, the very witty lyrics and super-smooth groove, the song is packed with catchy hooks, Jeff Beckian cat-emulating wah/tremolo effects and contains a guitar solo to die for. It is a tasteful and tasty jam. I am looking to tab the solo out in it's entirety one of these days but for now I am just going to leave the songs main hook, this delicious lick here for anybody who's interested to check out. 


The tune has what is really a pretty straight beat, but the one needs to roll the notes of the lick a little to give it that swaggery swing. In the recording the guitar player Eric Schenkman picks each of the notes out using his plectrum, with a bright, lively and only-just over-driven tone dialed into his amp. It is easy to be jealous of such a tone but just remember, that guy is famous and has probably had his choice of gear over the years. 


Once again, I have used the Powertab editor to score this. I featured a link to it in my previous blog. One could probably find Cleopatra's Cat fully tabbed in the Tab Library. 


Keep it surreal.





No comments:

Post a Comment