Friday 11 November 2011

Using the Aeolian mode.

Over the last month I have written articles to explain some of the elements of the Ionian, Dorian, Lydian and Mixolydian modes. I have tried to present them in an order that, for one approaching the subject of modal playing from the beginning, would be simplest to internalize and apply.


The subject of today's article - the Aeolian mode - can also be referred to as the Natural Minor Scale. I always begin by offering up the C major scale (or, in other words, the C Ionian mode) as it is by altering this scale that one acquires the others.  


The C Aeolian differs from the C ionian as follows:


The Aeolian mode, or Natural Minor Scale, is very easy to find musical examples of. It is very popularly used in all music, but especially in classical music and metal. A very good example of the natural minor sound would be Metallica's Black Album ballad 'Nothing Else Matters', a tab for which can easily be found in The Tab Library. I'll feature the link at the end of the article. 


Consider the following tab.
That is the C Ionian played on one string to easily reveal the steps.








And that is the C Aeolian shewn in a likewise manner. 

Here is the C Aeolian played in an open string position, for one octave from C to C.







In the first position without open strings,







In a second position, for two octaves, from C to C,








In a third, again two octaves,








And finally, linking a few positions together.








Play the scales over a C minor chord, and experiment. Look for patterns. Once I've covered every mode individually I will offer an article on the patterns existing between them. 


If you enjoyed this article and/or found it helpful, please feel free to subscribe to my blog or like my facebook page. Should you have any queries about my services or anything that I've written, why not leave a comment, or drop me an email. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.


Till next time, I wish you all the good times and all your favorite hamburgers. Radcore.


P.S. I said I'd post a link to the Tab Library. You need Powertabs to use it. If you don't have Powertabs, click the link below.


http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php


It's free, and the file is tiny.


Then, visit the tab library. Search there for the tune you want the music for and download it. It is quick and easy.


www.tablibrary.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment